Monday, January 7, 2008

Week 15 Winter Break

My heart fluttered as I swung there, high above the treetops. The chair lift had stopped again. Rats. I hated that. I avoided looking down. Out was better.

The late rays of sun licked the snowy mountaintops with an orangey glow. This would be my last run of the day. Good thing, since my gloves were a bit damp and my fingers were becoming numb. The lengthening shadows brought a chill to the Rockies. Not long ago I had been skiing with my jacket wide open and my hair blowing freely – no hat. Now I inched my zipper higher toward my chin with my free hand. The other one was looped around the center post of the chair, clutching both of my ski poles. The snow below me took on a bluish tone in the dimming light.

I was going to do it this time. It was my last chance. The last run of the day on my last day in New Mexico. Tomorrow I would be on a plane back to the flatter lands of Minnesota. I had seen many skiers tumble, some hard, but others seemed to take “The Face” in stride, carving controlled Ss across the steep slope. I wanted to do it too. No bombing, just a comfortable curving line back and forth with a tiny tinge of racing heart as my skis would point downward again momentarily at each turn. If I could just avoid picking up too much speed during those moments, I could ski The Face without bodily harm. Right. Easier said than done.

Just three nights before, we had watched as a tight line of skiers waving bright orange torches snaked their way down that very run. Fireworks burst in the air from the summit above them. The line crawled along as slowly as a group of beginners on the bunny hill. That is, until one set of torches broke away from the zigzag and somersaulted to the side. The unfortunate tumbler wasn’t seriously hurt, but if the experts had trouble, who was I to think I could manage it even in the fleeting daylight.

My brain kept debating itself, as I took in a last breathtaking view from the top of the mountain. I skied several familiar runs on my way back down, so preoccupied with my thoughts I was barely aware of them. Finally, I stood at the top of The Face, overlooking the roof of the chalet. It appeared to be just a few feet forward and yet miles down, that’s how steep it was. I watched a few skiers, more confident than I, go by. Even they paused to take a deep breath before descending. I needed about twenty.

At last I inched forward. I could hear my pulse pounding in my ears. My skis slid along with a light shushing sound gaining momentum. I concentrated hard on my form, realizing I would have to either turn soon or ski off the edge. I took another deep breath and held it as I shifted my weight and allowed the tips of my skis to angle downward. Then as quickly as I could, I pressed the backs of them down and to the side. The sharp edges dug into the icy snow with a whoosh, but miraculously the tips were now pointed back across the slope moving only a tiny bit faster than I liked. I swished toward the far side of the hill and gritted my teeth in anticipation of another steep turn. A young skier suddenly zipped by, startling me. I fought to keep my balance. Thankfully, though shaken, I recovered in time to make the turn.

As I continued to work my way down, I started to grin. I was doing it. Maybe not like the pros, but not out of control either. “Not bad for a middle-aged, rusty skier like me,” I thought.
A few long minutes later, I reached the bottom. My daughter was there to congratulate me with a big hug. “Mom,” she said. “I am so proud of you! You conquered your first Rocky Mountain black diamond!”

Now it’s your turn. Write a story about a memorable experience you had over break. It might be a cookie baking event, a concert, a special time with your grandpa…whatever you did that felt important or worth remembering. Try to write about the way things sounded, felt, looked, smelled and tasted to help us experience it along with you. Use strong verbs. (At least 75 words.)

Challenge: After you write your story, reread what you have written. Look for sentences that start the same way. See if you can come up with ways to vary the beginnings. For example, if you have several sentences that start with “I” or “Then I”, try moving parts of the sentence around like this: “I didn’t really want to take a walk with Grandpa, but I didn’t want to listen to my aunts anymore either.” could be changed to “My aunts chattered nonstop, making a walk with Grandpa seem more appealing than usual.”

- As always, write and save your story in a word processing program first.
- Be sure to check it over for capitalization, punctuation and spelling.
- Don’t forget to include your first name and code (eg. Peter Sw#29).

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

So there I was in the middle of Oklahoma. We had been in this state for 3 hours and our goal was to make it to Tulsa as we were heading for Beaumont, Texas. It’s found on the southeast border of Texas. But it seemed like we drove into Alaska as hale and screeching winds started to zoom towards us. Soon we were smack straight in a big storm as we were approaching Miami, Oklahoma, home of Mickey Mantle. So we decided to stop at the first good hotel in the area. So we stopped and we got out and I didn’t last a second with out being swept off my feet. I got up and sprinted inside and ten minutes later we were snug in our room. I asked, “Can I go to the Jacuzzi mom”? “Sure just be back in a little while please” so then I went down stairs and got in the Jacuzzi and …ah it was relaxing. Later I went up to my room and got in bed and watched a little NCAA basketball. The next morning we left the marvelous hotel.

Kevin SW6

Anonymous said...

This winter break my family went to see my grandparents in Pine City MN.
When we got there, we had to go to the realtor’s office to help them purchase a piece of property. After we purchased the property, we went back to grandma’s house to drop off our car. Them we all loaded up in the F150 Ford and went to Hinckley to look at the new purchase. When we got there we had to sign in at the front desk, and then we drove around the area to see the other properties. When we got my grandmothers new property we had to dig our way into see it. Moreover, we found out that the place needs a lot of work. After we were done, we went to a local restaurant to have lunch, and then we went home.

Braxton #18SW

Anonymous said...

There I was at the bottom of a mountain in California. I was going to climb that mountain. The sun was blazing down on me. The wind was hitting my face and screaming in my ear. I had to take many breaths before we started to climb the mountain. I started climbing. After a few minutes I was out of breathe. I sat on a big rock and caught my breath. My feet started to get soar and swell. I thought I wasn't going to make it to the top. Slowly the sun started to fall and my dad started to speed his pace. I yelled "Slow down!" But he coudn't hear me . All of a sudden I was alone. I couldn't find my dad anywhere. I just kept climbing until I got to the top. There my dad congragulated me and we looked down over the mountain. You could see the whole town below. It was beautiful. It was worth the climb. I didn't even mind that we had to go down that long trail all over again.
Madeline SW15

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Dear Mme Powell,
Over break, everything was really fun! One of the most memorable things was Christmas Eve. We were all at my aunt’s house. After we ate and everything, it was time to open presents. I was very eager to open presents, so I was the first one to start ripping open the beautifully wrapped packages. Everybody kind of stared at me for about, a second or two, but then I said ‘’ Grandma said we could!’’ Then everybody did what I did. Ripped open all the beautiful bags, boxes, and ribbons. After everybody was finished showing there parents their presents, [including me] we went down stairs to try some of the presents out. A lot of them were really cool! That night was really FUN!!
Sincerely, Sylvia J # 24

Anonymous said...

One of the most memorable things I did over break was when we were telling stories before we went in to the hot tub. Here are some of the best stories. One day my brother and my friend Genna were skiing down a black run called campground. A girl about 4 zipped by her teacher and zoomed on to Campground. She howled to their teacher. The teacher dashed to an emergency phone and called the ski patrol. We don’t know what happened next. That same day a guy in my class smashed in to my little brother on accident and my brother’s skis sliced in two. What a tragic day.

Katie j4

Anonymous said...

Dear Ms. Powell,
During my winter break, we flew to New Orleans, Louisiana. My favorite part was when we drove to Dauphin Island, which is part of Alabama and was named after a French family. The view was phenomenal. It made me feel so peaceful. The sea was a lovely light blue. I saw some pelicans and some birds that had really scary eyes. On the shore there were thousands of beautiful seashells. I wanted to pick up all of them, but of course, I couldn’t. So I gathered as many as I could, which was approximately 50. Each one was unique, and I have even named some of them. I will always treasure these seashells because they will remind me of this splendid trip to Dauphin Island.
Maria J4 #5

Anonymous said...

Over break I went to park city Utah. It was really fun because it was only, Dad, Hayden and me. Hayden was really cranky; he almost broke his leg “again”. We went thru the natural half pipe 2 times. It is about 2 miles long. We took a lot of pictures of me in the park but my brother only got about 23 pictures. We had a lot of fun.
Saturday night we watched a movie and I fell asleep on the couch. That night I was sleepwalking and almost walked out into the hall but my Dad stopped me. My brother and I went swimming outside and ran into the snow bank and fell flat on our faces. It was really cold so we jumped back into the hot tub or pool. Before we jumped into the water my Dad got some great pictures on our new camera. It was AWESOME!
Noah
SW4 #4

Anonymous said...

Dear Mme Powell,

For my winter break I went to the Wild hockey game! At first I was bewildered by the bright lights and crazy commotion! But I caught on pretty quick. When the Wild scored everyone in the stadium stood up and yelled at the top of their lungs (so did I). Then at half time I went out and got a logo light pen and my sister got a hot pink Wild hat. Now back to the ”wild” action. Right when we got into the arena, the Dallas Stars shot a goal. Then everyone booed them except for some people about three rows ahead of us at the game. I think they were from Dallas Texas. When the game was over the final score was 6 to 2. The Wild won!!! The Wild won!!!!! Before we went home, I got a gigantic ice cream Sunday swirl of chocolate and vanilla. It was scrumptious.
Andy J4

Anonymous said...

When Ally,David,my mom and I went sledding we had a great time. We had contest's to see who could go the farthest or who could go the fastest. My mom won! then we desided to play cat and mouse, a game were you make a track in the snow and there's a cat who tries to catch everywon. When the cat tages you ,you become one of the cat's.the last person to get taged is it in the next round. Aftar we played cat and mouse we crouched down on the sled and held on to the handle's and went down the hill.David graded us by 1-10.Onece when David did it he hit a bump and fliped. he was o.k luckely. It was a lot of fun and I realy enjoied it.

Sarah sw2

Anonymous said...

UUUUG I hadn’t been outside all day. My brother was sick. Henry began throwing up at 4am on December 26. He finely stopped throwing up at 7pm and I still had not been outside. On December 27th Henry recovered. My mom felt bad that I had not been outside all day on the 26th so we went to Target, Paint Your Plate, skating, and sledding. It was time to start my Christmas vacation but on the 28th of December at 3:00am, it was my turn to be sick. My mom said, “You’ll be fine in a day just like Henry”. However, 2 hours later my mom became sick. We will never forget the Christmas break stomach flu and all the side effect, throwing up, feeling ooshy, not being able to eat anything and being pale as a ghost. Beware or the stomach flu.




Patricia#13 Sw

Anonymous said...

This christmas I got a Wii game. I was so suprised! My brother and sister were like "sweet!" So I took it out and plugged it in. The games I got are, Wii sports, Wii play and Mario Party 8. They are all sweet games! We can like never get off it is SO FUN! Also I got a ripstick. They are like a skateboard but it has 2 wheels. Last but not least I got a bank. When you put money in it shows the amount for you. I have $17.00. I think that this was the best Christmas ever!!!


patrick sw4 #VII

Anonymous said...

On Christmas Eve I had a sleep over. My friend and I were mischievous . We went sledding. We wanted to jump off of a wall . So we jumped off the wall. Powder was flying in my face every time t went down the hill. It Felt weird .It was a humid day. After we had thick hot chocolate. And when we got back we played floor hockey for a little time. And then he had to go.




Garrett SW #23

Anonymous said...

It started with a phone call.

“Hi, it’s me, Paul, do you want to go skating with me?”

“Yea, when?” I asked.

“Tomorrow!”

“Sure!” then I told my mom and she said yes also. And at the time, I didn’t mention that I was going to play hockey with some older guys – Paul’s friends. Paul is my best friend, he is an adult, and my mentor.

Early morning, next day, Paul was at my front door eager to get to Todd Park and play the great sport of hockey. But the other guys never came. At the time, there were some flurries. I looked at Paul and said “Those guys are wimps.”

So my friend and I skated and played post. After that, we went back to my house played dart tag, a gift I received for Christmas. It was a blast! My mom made hot chocolate since we were dyeing for some!

It tasted great with Christmas cookies. Talking about all of the fun we had, encouraged ideas to do it again! Thomas J21

Anonymous said...

So there I was. I had no choice now. I now HAD to go down the summit. I had done the summit many times before, but this time you could not see five feet in front of you. It had been like this once before, but there had been more people. I was scared. I didn’t see why my dad wanted to come up and do this when it was getting late and we could all see that it was fogy. I begged my mom to just go down the chair lift, but I knew it was no good. We had to ski down the mountain to get down. I felt like I could not move, I was so scared. My mom said we would find nice and easy runs. It had been snowing. No, let me rephrase that. It had been blizzarding all day and all the rest of the days we were here, so the snow should have been good, but it was icy. My dad started down the hill and the rest of us followed. It look almost completely white because the trees had turned to snow ghosts. In fact there were snow ghosts half way up the mountain. It was hard work now because we had been skiing for many, many hours. Soon my dad thought he had found a little trail but really it was just a short cut to a black diamond slope. When my dad realized it he told us not to follow. Mom and me worked our way down the slope. I was having a little more fun now because it was easier and not quite as icy. Then we got to the bottom ready to work our way home. And I knew that this would be a fun story to tell my grandma. The End! SW#12 Cristiana

Anonymous said...

On New Years eve, I went to party at Interlachen country club. Once me Ava, Ella, and my friend and our parents got there, we ate dinner. I had penne noodles with parmesan cheese, a pop over, a sucker, and a delicious sundae. Then we went ice skating. We played Ships across the ocean then we had smores. It was time to go and I got to go to my friends house for a sleep over. I had a really fun time!!!


Estee SW #25

Anonymous said...

For winter break I went to Florida with my family. We do this every year, but this year was a little different. This year Florida was very cold, well, cold for Florida. They said it hadn’t been that cold in years. But that did not stop us from the fun things we had planned. This year we celebrated New Years a little different than we have in the past. We had a camp fire on the beach, and lit fireworks over the ocean. But our fun had to stop, when the police came and said we had to stop. Of course we didn’t know that we weren’t supposed to do that. It was a memorable and different winter break.
MaddieJ6