Monday, November 5, 2007

Week 9 I♥NY! (Persuasive paragraphs)

In the story Grandfather’s Journey, Grandfather loved both Japan and California. Later, his grandson found that he felt the same way about these two very different places. Think of a place you really love. You might think of a place you have taken a vacation. Or maybe you’d choose a special spot in your house or yard. Or, perhaps there is a place away from home that you love to visit again and again – a grandparent’s home or a family cabin. Maybe school is a favorite place for you!

Read on to learn about a place I love. As you read, try to find: my topic sentence, two clear reasons (tabletops), supporting details for each of them (legs), and finally, my concluding sentence.

I have had the pleasure of exploring many marvelous places in the world, but I think I could happily spend an eternity in England. One reason I find this island nation so fascinating is its history. This is the land of kings and queens. The Beefeaters at the Tower of London are eager to tell me all their gruesome tales. It seems there is a castle and a story to go with it in every tiny hamlet. Hundreds of museums and manor homes stand ready to transport me into the past. Even the cobblestones and hedgerows have watched centuries of activity pass by.

Another reason I love England is its charm. As I take a Sunday drive through the hilly countryside, the rolling green pastures remind me of a poofy quilt speckled with wooly polka dots. I’ll spend the day strolling through a village of thatched roofed cottages. Each one is surrounded by gigantic rose bushes dripping with pink and red blooms. Swans and long boats float lazily down the Thames. I feel lazy too as I sip my afternoon tea and munch on my scone slathered with fresh clotted cream. While I chew, I read a book by C. S. Lewis or A. A. Milne, two of my favorite British authors. I can’t imagine that I would ever grow tired of exploring England!

Now it’s your turn. Be sure you include a topic sentence. Then, state a reason you love your special place (tabletop). Next, give several good supporting details or examples (legs). Last, write a concluding sentence that restates your main idea. (One good reason is enough for this assignment. Just make sure you make it convincing with your descriptive details!) Important tip!: Use an I-chart to organize your ideas before writing.

Challenge: Try jazzing up your topic and concluding sentences. Give it some personality. Instead of simply saying, “I love my cabin.” Try “There’s no better summer retreat than our cottage on Lake Lila.”

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite places is Houston,Texas beacaus my cousin's live ther and they have a big fun house.Whith a pond in ther back yard! We have lots of fun spying on are parents beacaus they have a good house for it and ther names are conner and kinzy if you see it is cade,conner,kylan, kinzy.and they have frends on ther block and we play captuer the flag wheth all the people of ther block and best of all on the 4 of july and outher holidays we get to shut of fire worcks! And thet is the coolest place iv gone!cadduff

Anonymous said...

Dear Mme Powell,
My favorite place is the blue wavy Hawaii.One reason I love to go there is because there are girl houla dancers, with their coconut bikini tops and their stray skirts wishing in the wind. Also there are boy houla dancers, and they have their raggy clothes, and they do their houla dances amazingly it is just incredible. Another reason Hawaii is nice is because the ocean.The waves wash up on your feet, and it feels so nautral.the dolphins are so nice because you get to swim with them. And there are two reasons why Hawaii is the greatest. Sylvie J 24

Anonymous said...

My family and I LOVE Mexico. I got to play water football with my friends. My sisters and some of her friends were sun tanning when we were doing flips off a small cliff. Eventually are parents thought that we were tired so we all went to bed. Then in the morning are DAD`S went golfing we staid there and played lacrosse and then went back in the pool.


J.P. J#8

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite place is Chicago. You get to go to Edebevics. The waiters dance on the tables , the waiters are very rude. You also get to go to Garrett's popcorn in Chicago it is very yummy and delicious. These are somme of the reasons I like Chicago

GarrettSw23

Anonymous said...

My favorite place in the world is my cabin.
I love the green forest and blue lake. It’s so peaceful out there.
Every summer we go there for my birthday. We go flying over waves on my gigantic tube. I love Big Crooked Lake.

GraceSw#17

Anonymous said...

My favorite thing to do is go to my grandparent’s house up in Pine City, MN.
One thing I like to do is ride the four wheelers because I like to go through the woods. With my cousins, Christopher and Brandon, I like to go fishing in the river with them too .All my cousins like to go to my uncles’ house who lives down the street .I also like to have bonfires with the whole family gathered around. I can’t image what it would be like not to visit them when we go up north.

Braxton SW #18

Anonymous said...

I love to go to Ohio year after year. My grandmother lives there. It’s always a road trip

to Ohio when we get there. we don’t need to book a hotel because we go to uncle

Marione’s Apartment. For the trip, in the morning we go see grand mother either

is at the hospital or at there house with my to cosines that play with me and they have a

Videogame and, of course share. I watch TV; it’s the best trip that I never get tired

of. evanj25

Anonymous said...

Driving down highway 63 to a place called Cumberland, WI, it’s another sunny day. Any time I go to Cumberland it seems to be a sunny day. We turn on a dirt road or as I say it’s a “wild ride dirt road”, we stay alert to see the first turkey or deer. We finally reach our destination.

We quickly unpack our food and gear, I’m excited to get started with some of my favorite activities like fishing, swimming and chasing frogs and toads. This is the place I attempted windsurfing for the first time. If we have a good stringer, dinner will be fish fry, fried potatoes, chips, veggies and dill dip.

I have also been to Cumberland in the winter. On that trip I did ice fishing for the first time in my life! It was cold, we made a bon fire that was so hot it melted my snow pants when I was trying to warm up!!!

To me it is like paradise any time ! Thomas j21

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite places is Dubuque, Iowa because my grampa and my cousins live there. Did you know that my grampa lives right next door to my cousin's house? My cousin's names are Cristina, she is 5, Jack is 8, and Sean is 10, and she has the same birthday as me. There is also Elliott and she is 13. My cousins and I love to hunt turkeys, go bike riding and play tag. I like to visit them every holiday and it takes about 5 hours to get there. I LOVE going to my grampa and my cousin's house in Dubuque!!!!!

patrick sw4 #7

Anonymous said...

Dear Ms.Powell,
My favorite place is Los Angeles, California. I like the tall breezy palm trees there. If you go anywhere outside, everywhere you look there will be palm trees. Another reason why I like California is when you go to Hollywood. You can meet famous celebrities. I didn't meet a real celebrity but I met some inpersonators. For example, Princess Fiona and Shrek. My mom took a picture of me with them. And also I saw Donkey. He was funny and plus he really did sound like Donkey or should I say Eddie Murphy. Another one I saw was someone who is really babyish (to me) and maybe to some other people too. She speaks Spanish. Now I think you can guess. It is Dora The Explorer! Oh how exciting! (I'm exaggerating.) And I saw Sponge Bob Square Pants which is getting a bit old for me. I saw him and Patrick and Squidward and Sandy. It was exciting to see the good old TV shows I used to watch. Sometimes when I come to school, you see me wear a t-shirt that says Hollywood California. I really like California alot. I like the hotels alot but some of them are really expensive. The hotel rooms are big. They have like KING SIZE BEDS!!! There are usually two beds, and my mom, sister, and I usually take the first bed and then my dad gets a whole big bed to himself. They are so springy and soft. The covers and sheets have amazingly beautiful covers. The one my family had were ones that had waterlilies on it. It was beautiful. I wish I could have covers like those. The name of the hotel my family stayed in was called Best Western. That was the one that had beautiful covers. Usually my family goes to different hotels while we are there so we went to a different hotel but that my friend, is a different story.

MariaJ4#5

Anonymous said...

Mackinac Island is one of the best places in the world!!! There are no cars there, instead you walk, bike, or ride horses. I stayed at the Grand Hotel which has lots of history. Once, me and my cousin Taylor, after dinner we went to the very top of the Grand Hotel. It took a long time because we got lost. There are lots of American flags and rocking chairs on the really really long porch. When you go into the Grant Hotel there is a lady playing the harp and lost of chairs to sit in. That’s why I love Mackinac Island!

Estee SW#25

Anonymous said...

I LOVE being in my tree! I love how the wind blows through my hair like a tornado. I love hearing the wind blow through the trees. I like how at first the wind is silent, and when it moves swiftly through the tree as if it were in a rush, it makes the sound SSSSSSSSSSWWWWWWWWWWIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHH! When I go high, I love seeing the view. I love how I can see the whole neighborhood, and I love the peace and quiet. I love how nature surrounds me everywhere I look. Now as you can see, my tree is an amazing place to be.
Sarah sw2